SB 42-Dexter Mosely Act
Dexter Mosley Act
During the 2021 legislative session, the Georgia General Assembly passed the Dexter Mosely Act. This legislation authorizes home study students in grades 6-12 to participate in extracurricular and interscholastic activities in the student’s resident public school system, with the requirement of certain notification and course enrollment provisions. The law is codified in O.C.G.A. § 20-2-319.6.
No home school students should attend workouts, club meetings, or practices/competitions until they are fully registered.
Enrolling Adult actions:
The enrolling parent/guardian must send an email to the principal of school the student would attend based on grade and the Stephens County Deputy Superintendent, indicating the intent to enroll the student under the Dexter Mosley Act. This email must include the following scanned and attached documents:
- The Dexter Mosley Act Declaration form (link above) indicating which extracurricular activities the student plans to participate in.
- A copy of the student’s most recent annual progress report as provided in Georgia’s requirements for home school programs and include the student’s instructor’s individualized assessment of the student’s academic progress in all courses (reading, language arts, mathematics, social studies, and science).
- A written verification by the home school instructor that the student is currently receiving a passing grade in each home study program course and is maintaining satisfactory progress towards advancement.
- A current copy of the student’s transcript including the number of cumulative units earned to date.
Stephens County Middle School Principal: Paul Defoor email@example.com
Stephens County High School Principal: Michael Keown firstname.lastname@example.org
Stephens County Deputy Superintendent: John Stith email@example.com
Upon completion of these steps, you will be contacted by someone in the school system and, if meeting the above requirements, given permission to enroll.
This documentation must be received 30 calendar days prior to the first day of school of the semester the home study student will be enrolling in Stephens County.
- Q: What is the process for informing Stephens County Schools that I would like for my student to take a course under Dexter Mosley Act?
- Q: Can my Dexter Mosley Act student take more than one course?
- Q: Is my Dexter Mosley Act student limited to specific courses or can a student select any course?
- Q: Does my student have to attend in person?
- Q: Is my student subject to all rules and regulations of Stephens County Schools?
- Q: Is my student exempt from any Georgia High School Association (GHSA) eligibility requirements?
- Q: Can my student tryout or participate in any sport activity before submitting a declaration or registering?
- Q: Will my student be eligible to participate in Stephens County High School graduation?
- Q: Will my student be eligible to continue in the course if student is not selected for extra-curricular sport or activity?
- Q: If Dexter Mosley Act process is completed for a fall sport and student is not selected to participate in that sport, must my student begin Dexter Mosley Act process again to participate in a Spring sport?
- Q: Dexter Mosley Act Declaration and registration process has been completed. My student is participating in selected sport/activity for Fall semester. They now wish to participate in Spring sport/activity. What is the process for another semester?